Crowns and Bridges
When it comes to dental treatments, there are many options that a dentist can recommend. Crowns and bridges are some of the most common procedures used in dentistry. Crowns and bridges are permanent restorative solutions that improve your teeth’ functionality and appearance. They are necessary when a tooth is damaged, decayed, or missing. At Personal Touch Dentistry, we are here for patients needing restorative care like crowns and bridges in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.
What are Crowns and Bridges?
Crowns, or dental caps, are coverings placed on damaged or decayed teeth. They improve the tooth’s shape, appearance, and strength. The crown is usually made of strong materials such as porcelain ceramic or metals such as gold. There are several types of crowns, but most are custom-made to fit each patient’s specific needs. A crown can last between 10 to 15 years with proper care.
Bridges are restorations that replace missing teeth. They comprise two or more crowns connected to the replacement tooth/teeth. Bridges can be made from porcelain, ceramic, or metals like crowns. Bridges are a great option if you are missing one or more teeth, and they can improve your bite and prevent neighboring teeth from shifting out of place.
When are Crowns Needed?
There are several reasons why your dentist may recommend crowns. If you have a large cavity beyond repair with a filling, a crown will be necessary to restore the tooth’s functionality. If you have a cracked tooth, a crown can protect it from further damage. Crowns can also cover discolored or misshapen teeth to improve their appearance.
When are Bridges Needed?
If you have missing teeth, your dentist may recommend a bridge to replace them. This can help restore your teeth’ functionality and prevent any issues that may arise from missing teeth, including shifting teeth or gum disease. Bridges can also improve your overall appearance, restoring confidence and allowing you to smile easily.
Benefits of Bridges and Crowns
- Regain Your Smile: Some people are self-conscious about their smiles because of missing or broken teeth. Crowns and bridges can solve this problem. Crowns replace the entire structure of a tooth that is damaged or decayed. Bridges, however, can be used to replace multiple missing teeth. Both solutions provide natural-looking results and can give patients their confidence back.
- Improve Your Chewing Ability: If you have gaps in your teeth due to missing or broken teeth, it can affect your chewing ability. With the help of crowns and bridges, you can restore the proper functioning of your teeth, making it easier to chew comfortably.
- Prevent Shifting of Teeth: Missing teeth can misalign other teeth in your mouth. Misalignment occurs because the remaining teeth will eventually shift to fill the gap left by the missing tooth. Crowns and bridges can prevent shifting by filling the gap and anchoring the teeth on either side.
- Reduce the Risk of Tooth Decay: Severe decay can cause tooth loss. A crown can cover up a decayed tooth, preventing the decay from spreading. Bridges can also replace missing teeth, thereby avoiding the buildup of bacteria that can cause decay. Crowns and bridges offer a durable solution that can last for years, reducing the chances of tooth decay.
- Improved Speech: Missing teeth can cause speech problems such as slurring and difficulty with pronunciation. Bridges can fix these speech problems by replacing missing teeth and filling gaps left by broken teeth.
Dental Crowns and Bridges in Winston-Salem, NC
Through optimal oral health, taking care of your teeth and gums is essential. If damage, decay, or missing teeth occur, your dentist may recommend a crown or bridge. Crowns restore damaged or decayed teeth, while bridges replace missing teeth. These permanent restorative solutions will not only improve the functionality of your teeth but also enhance your appearance. So, schedule an appointment with us today to see if crowns and bridges are right for you and make the best decision that fits your needs to achieve a healthy and beautiful smile.